Okay before you read the recipe, read this: Don’t be put off by the number of eggs. I’m not a huge fan of eggs but in this dessert you cannot even taste the eggs (well that’s what I thought anyway and usually I can always taste the eggs!). One of the best desserts I have tasted in a long long long time. So simple. So yummy. So different. I hosted a cooking evening last week with girls from my office and it was so much fun – we had a chef friend come in and demonstrate some dishes and this was one of them. We declared this recipe the winner. Or in our office dialect, a weeeeeeena! I hope you enjoy it too!
A totally unique and utterly delicious dessert, try it, you will never regret it!
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 tub (250g) mascarpone cheese
- 1 tub cream, 250ml
- 1 vanilla pod (or half teaspoon vanilla paste)
- 2 medium bananas
- 12–14 medium-sized strawberries (or 8–10 large ones)
- Place the egg yolks, sugar and the vanilla seeds in a mixing bowl (scrape these out of the vanilla pod with a knife or your finger â€“ sometimes this is the easiest way!!)
- Mix the egg yolks and sugar with a whisk, by hand, over a double-boiler and mix for 5 minutes (I used a makeshift double boiler by pouring water into a large pot and then placing the mixing bowl which was stainless steel, on top of that. If you donâ€™t have a stainless steel mixing bowl, then just use a stainless steel pot).
- After 5 minutes, youâ€™ll see that the mixture is pale yellow. Now place the bowl in a basin of cold water and continue to stir for 2 minutes whilst the mixture cools down.
- Now place it in the fridge whilst you get the cream ready!
- Whip the cream either manually with a whisk or with an electric blender. Set aside.
- Soften the mascarpone cheese in a blender for a minute or so, especially if itâ€™s not at room temperature.
- Take the bowl out the fridge and mix in the mascarpone cheese and whipped cream.
- Just before serving, cut the banana into small slices and the strawberries into quarters. Mix into the custard and if you like use some of the cut strawberries for decorationâ€¦I also dusted with icing sugar although this is completely optional!!