For cold winter’s nights, soups are just the best!!! I originally saw this recipe on pinterest and being a soup lover, I took one look at the photo and thought I GOTTA make that! It has a rich tomato flavour, pasta noodles and of course the sublime cheese and meaty flavour. I simplified the recipe to what you see below and most of the ingredients are basic stock items.
Remember you can always tweak this recipe and add more noodles or more tomato or less liquid or more cheese…you get the idea!
A tasty recipe to combine the flavours of lasagne in a hearty soup!
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
450g lean mince
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken stock (use 2 stock cubes to 4 cups water)
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried Basil
Â½ teaspoon dried Oregano
Â½ teaspoon dried Rosemary
Â½ teaspoon dried Thyme
1 teaspoon brown or white sugar
1 tablespoon fresh parsley (and extra for garnishing)
Salt and ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 cup of bowtie pasta or similar
1 cup grated Mozzarella
Â½ cup finely grated/shredded Parmesan
Optional: Ricotta Cheese
- HeatÂ the olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat and sautÃ© the onions until soft. Now add the mince and cook until browned.
- Now add the garlic and sautÃ© for approximately 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil oregano, rosemary, thyme, sugar, and parsley and mix through.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Add salt and ground black pepper, to taste.
- Add the pasta and bring the soup to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer for approx. 20 minutes. Add more water if necessary (1/2 cup to 1 cup)
- Pour soup into bowls and serve garnished with mozzarella, parmesan and chopped parsley.
- Optional: Add a dollop of Ricotta cheese or sour cream to each bowl along with the other cheeses for a truly sublime winterâ€™s soup!
- Serve with freshly baked bread and butter.