Melt-in-the-mouth vanilla donuts – soft, fresh, and laden with icing and sprinkles!
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- Â¼ cup butter, melted
- Â¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup castor sugar
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Â½ cups icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence (leave out if you want a white glaze)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Food colouring and Sprinkles (optional) â€“ for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 220Â°C (degrees Celsius)
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs for 1 minute.
- Sift the flour and add to the eggs, mix gently (usually I donâ€™t bother with sieving flour but because weâ€™re trying to create something really light, we want to try incorporate as much air as possible.
- Now add all the other doughnut ingredients and mix until everything is just combined.
- Using butter and some wax paper, butter the holes of the doughnut tins.
- Pour in the mixture so they are Â¾ full. You must still see the centres.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the doughnut comes out clean.
- Allow to cool whilst you make the glaze
- Find a bowl with a flat bottom – you will be dipping the doughnuts in here. Mix all the glaze ingredients together until smooth.
- Now dunk the doughnuts into the glaze and add sprinkles. You will need to work quickly before the glaze hardens. If it does, then just pop it into the microwave for a few seconds to soften it again.