Super easy recipe for vegan spaghetti bolognaise. Nutritious and delicious with lots of tomatoes, carrots and mushrooms plus herbs and spices for maximum flavour.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 150g brown mushrooms, finely chopped*
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs (dried) or 1 tablespoon fresh
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 cans (400g each) tinned tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Handful cashew nuts, finely shopped
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium-large frying pan and once hot, fry the mushrooms until they have reduced in size and browned nicely.
- Add another tablespoon olive oil to the pan and add the onions, carrots and garlic. Fry for 4- minutes until the onions are soft.
- Make a little space in the centre of the pan and add the tomato paste, cook for 30 seconds then mix into the vegetables.
- Add soy sauce, mixed herbs and flour. Stir to combine.
- Add the red wine and allow to simmer on medium-high until almost completely reduced, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock and bay leaf. Allow to simmer until the liquid has reduced and the sauce is nice and thick but still juicy, about 30-45 minutes.
- Add salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Garnish with crushed / finely shopped cashew nuts and chopped spring onions or a herb of your choice
*I used Portabellini mushrooms.