Delicious jam squares recipe made from pantry staples in just 30 minutes. Easy recipe to bake with the kids and share with the whole family.
- 125g butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cups jam (I used Apricot)
- Using a blender, cream the butter and sugar together until creamy
- Add the egg and vanilla essence and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour (sieve it if you are feeling diligent!) and baking powder and mix until a dough forms.Then using your hands, press the dough together until it forms a ball. Use 2/3 of the dough and spread it along the base of a greased baking tin (Place the other third in the fridge for now). I used a 30 x 20cm tin.
- Using the head of a fork, poke holes into the dough to prevent air bubbles forming (imagine the dough cut into slices – each slice needs to be pricked with the fork)
- Lather on the jam nice and thick!
- Grate the remaining 1/3 of the dough and scatter on the top of the jam (if the dough is too soft to grate, pop it in the fridge/freezer for a few minutes)
- Bake at 180°C for 20-30 minutes until dough is slightly browned and the jam is all gooey! Allow to cool and then slice into squares. Enjoy!
Tin size: 30 x 20cm or smaller (don’t go bigger than that)