The perfect meringue recipe – crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside! Recipe handed down by Mom, it’s perfect, and EASY!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups castor sugar
- 4 tsp maizena (cornflour)
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 150Â°C
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and then add castor sugar and beat again until stiff.
- Add maizena, vinegar and vanilla and mix again until well combined.
- Place wax paper on a baking tray and with a piping bag or with the back of a spoon, create a circular base of meringue mixture. Use a piping bag to then pipe dollops of meringue around the edges, effectively creating a â€œbasketâ€ or â€œbarrierâ€ so that the fruit and cream which youâ€™ll put in later (when serving) doesnâ€™t escape!
- Bake for about 1 hour at 150Â°C.Â Allow to cool.
- To serve, spread the top withÂ cream and strawberries.