A traditional macaroni cheese recipe that is quick and easy to prepare with the option of adding extra ingredients.
- Cook the macaroni according to packet instructions and set aside
- While the macaroni is cooking, grate the cheese*
- Now, prepare the cheese sauce by heating the butter (medium heat) in a large pot. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Keep whisking to make a smooth mixture (this is called a roux).
- Add the milk, little by little, and keep whisking to ensure the sauce is smooth – I usually have the whisk in my right hand and the jug of measured milk in my left and I just keep whisking the whole time in a figure of 8 shape*
- Once all the milk has been incorporated, allow the sauce to thicken a little more – you don’t want it to be too runny and you don’t want it too thick either! You need to be the judge here!
- Add the 2 cups of cheddar cheese as well as the salt and a little freshly cracked black pepper and stir to combine.
- Add any optional extras that you cooked in a separate pan (see instructions under “optional extras”) and add to the cheese sauce and stir through.
- Now add the Macaroni to the sauce and stir through to coat all the pasta.
- Transfer to an ovenproof pot or dish and top with the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Grill for 10-15 minutes until the cheese has turned brown and crispy. Garnish with freshly chopped Parsley (optional)*. Enjoy!