A heartwarming vegan meal or a side to a meat dish, this Warm Butternut and Beetroot Salad recipe is simple and so tasty! Drizzle with tasty Balsamic Reduction.
- 6 beetroots, trimmed and cut into quarters (leave skin on)
- 500g butternut, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 60ml olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup pecan nuts
- ½ cup microgreens
- 1/3 cup sprouts (optional)
- Balsamic Reduction* (or 250ml Balsamic Vinegar to make your own)
* See Notes Below
- Place the chopped butternut and beetroot in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and add a moderate amount of salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Roast at 180°C for 50-60 minutes to an hour, until the butternut and beetroot are soft and gorgeously browned on the edges.
- In the meantime, place the pecan nuts in a small frying pan on high heat and allow them to brown a little – this only takes a minute or two. Add a little vegan butter if you wish but you can easily brown the nuts without the butter.
- Remove the veggies from the oven, add microgreens (or any other salad greens you have on hand), sprinkle with sprouts and the toasted pecan nuts. Toss the salad to coat everything in the warm olive oil at the bottom of the roasting dish, drizzle with balsamic reduction (see note below to make your own) and serve warm. Enjoy!
* If you cannot find a Balsamic Reduction, you can always make it, I made this one. You simply pour approx 1 cup of Balsamic Vinegar in a saucepan and allow to simmer until the liquid has reduced by at least three quarters. Allow it to cool and what you have left is a lovely thick Balsamic Reduction.