A delicious vegan dish that could be used as a main meal or as a side dish to to a meaty meal. Either way, it tastes delicious and cooks in under 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower/olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, diced
- 3/4 cup rice (I used Basmati Rice)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups water (for the rice) and 1/2 cup water (for the spinach – added later)
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or lime juice
- freshly ground black pepper
Add sliced spring onions
Add Diced tomato
- In a medium sized pan, heat the oil and cook the onions until beautifully caramelised.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- Add the rice, turmeric, cumin, ground coriander, salt, bay leaves and 2 1/2 cups water. Allow to simmer until most of the water has reduced and the rice is soft.
- Add the spinach and the remaining 1/2 cup water, cover the pan with a lid or plate and simmer ever so gently for 2-3 minutes to allow the spinach to wilt.
- Now mix the spinach through the rice to combine well.
- Stir in the red kidney beans and the lime/lemon juice. Add some freshly cracked black pepper as well as salt if needed. Throw on any or all of the optional extras and enjoy!