The perfect pantry meal that is heartwarming, quick to make and uses basic ingredients. This Pomodoro sauce with Gnocchi is delicious and can be served with pasta too.
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- 2 x tins (400g each) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 x 500g packet of gnocchi
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Optional toppings: Parmesan Cheese or Mozzarella Slices
- In a medium-sized pot or pan, add the cooking oil and the chopped onion. Fry the onion until soft and caramelised.
- Add the garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary and parsley and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and salt, and mix the herbs and onions through.
- Allow to simmer for 20 minutes (push to 30 minutes if you have time) and then stir in the cream and add some freshly cracked black pepper.
- In the meantime, cook the gnocchi by bringing a pot of water to the boil and adding the gnocchi. Cook until the gnocchi float to the top of the water, then drain and add the gnocchi to the sauce. As an optional (if you have in your fridge) and very tasty extra, you can top with Parmesan, or any other hard cheese or even grated mozzarella. Yummy!
Notes: I would double up this recipe to feed 4 hungry adults. If it’s 2 adults and 2 little kids, then this recipe will be fine with a side salad.