A deliciously simple meal made with chicken stock, flour, butter, milk and spices. Use a high quality or homemade chicken stock for this cream of chicken soup.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion or garlic powder (optional)
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large pot, on medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Add the stock and milk slowly, a little bit by little bit and continue to stir in a figure of 8 shape while the soup starts to thicken
- Once the soup has thickened nicely, add the salt and then the onion /garlic powder if you wish – this is optional.
- Add a little freshly cracked black pepper and more salt if necessary.
- Serve with warm bread or toast.
The secret to a soup made with chicken stock, is a good stock! I usually make this soup with homemade chicken stock and it is delicious!