Although ready-made frozen potato chips are available in practically every grocery shop nowadays, nothing beats the taste of those made from scratch at home. The secret to perfect chips is to double fry them, as this results in a soft moist centre and a lovely crunchy outer skin. Follow these simple instructions and enjoy your chips with fish, burgers or simply a few dipping sauces.
- Peel your potatoes and cut them into chunky strips.
- Wash them to remove some starch, and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Cook them in 120°C oil for 4-5 minutes to soften, and let cool for a few minutes or store in fridge overnight.
- Cook the chips again in 180°C oil for 5-6 minutes to get that crispy centre.
- Drain on a kitchen towel, season and serve.