I love anything red velvet and these are sooo yummy! There’s nothing quite like a red velvet cupcake is there? Mmm…so decadent and delicious! This recipe makes a lot of batter – I could actually make 2 cake layers and 6 cupcakes with this mixture. If you just want to make cupcakes it will make +- 24 cupcakes. If you just want to make a cake, it will make 3 layers in a round cake tin.Print
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 24 cupcakes or 3 layer round cake 1x
Decadent and delicious, this red velvet recipe will make 24 cupcakes or a 3 layered cake.
Red Velvet Cake
- 2 Â¼ cups cake flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3Â cups oil
- 1 Â½ cups castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- Â¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon red gel food colouring (or 4 tablespoons liquid food colouring)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 tub cream cheese (230g)
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 4 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180Â°C and grease cupcake pans with butter or Spray & Cook.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and eggs until well blended
- Now add the flour and buttermilk alternately and mix well.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt and mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla essence and colouring and mix well.
- Fill the cupcake tins or liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 25-30 minutes before icing the cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat the cream cheese (I used my KitchenAid Blender on medium) until smooth and then add the icing sugar cup by cup and mix well after each addition.
- Add the water and mix well.
It is a quite easy and fun recipe to make…..I really enjoyed it,.
..please inform me for more easy recipes….
Very easy and tasty. I reduced the oil to just one cup the second time I made it.
What can i use to substitute buttermilk? As i’ve been searching its out of stock. Any recommendations? With measures. Thanka a lot! 🙂
I can’t explain the mess I made out of this recipe. It’s been weeks since I made this and I can only open up and talk about it today. The measurement gave me a massive headache and there wasn’t anything velvety or red about the cupcakes I made. Something along the color of maroon. I’ve never seen anything like it. Feeling defeated, deflated and without an ounce of confidence
Looks very easy and easy to use to use