Wickedly easy and delicious, this Strawberries and Cream Layer Cake looks like a million bucks too! It’s a one bowl wonder – which is the best thing about it! But even better is that if you don’t feel like making buttercream icing you can just buy one or two bottles of whipped cream and use that as a filling together with the strawberries. Oh yes!! This recipe has been adapted from one of my old lemon cake recipes where you can use a 175ml yoghurt tub to measure the yoghurt, oil and flour. Also called a naked cake because the sides aren’t iced! All very trendy indeed! Enjoy!
A beautiful cake that packs a punch in both taste and looks! Absolutely impressive AND easy!
- 350 ml plain yoghurt
- 350 ml sunflower oil
- 500 ml sugar
- 1050 ml self-raising flour
- 6 extra large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Icing and Topping Ingredients:
- 250g margarine / butter, cut into small blocks
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 4 TBS milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 cups of strawberries, sliced plus a handful of whole strawberries.
- Empty all cake ingredients into a bowl and mix with a beater until everything is just blended nicely â€“ be careful not to overmix.
- Pour batter into 4 round cake tins that have been greased or lined with wax paper.Â Bake at 180 Â°C for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans and then take out.
- To make icing â€“ place the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until soft, now add the icing sugar, milk and vanilla essence. Beat until smooth. (remember that youÂ Â can just use whipped cream as a filling for each layer instead of the buttercream icing if you’d prefer).
- Ice each layer and place sliced strawberries on top of the icing in each layer (I covered the top of each layer completelyÂ with strawberries)
- Place uncut strawberries on the top layer or decorate as you wish.