Vetkoek is a kind of pastry or fried bread, and can be served with both sweet and savoury fillings – such as golden syrup or curried mince. To make it the traditional South African way, follow this easy recipe and rest assured that your vetkoeks will always be perfect!
A fried pastry or bread that can be served with sweet or savoury fillings. A delicious South African treat!
- 2 cups cake flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1–2 tbsp melted butter or cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- cooking oil for deep frying
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Beat butter, egg and buttermilk together.
- Now add this to the flour mixture and stir. The dough should have a spongy texture that drips easily off a spoon.
- Half fill a large pot with cooking oil and heat until it bubbles.
- Place spoonfuls of dough into the hot oil.
- Deep fry for a few minutes and then turn and fry them until golden brown. Remove when cooked and drain on paper toweling.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating.
I hav vetkoek with savoury fillings so I added a pinch of salt and pepper and it was delicious
Nooooooo! REAL vetkoek is made from bread dough !
Real vetkoek is made with yeast but this tastes good anyway.
I made these and added chopped up russian sausage and baked it in a muffin tray.
What’s up,I read your blogs named “How to Make Vetkoeks – Traditional South African Treat” regularly.Your story-telling style is witty, keep it up! And you can look our website about اغانى شعبى.
superbe hair bundles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koiFnDsfNPU moi suis ravie lettre agile et soigné vendeur extra
Exactly. Nice Information
Wish you the best. Sounds cool!