Great for braais or barbeques, this butternut side dish is wickedly delicious. If you are serving vegetarians you can leave out the bacon and add other ingredients such as mushrooms and onions.
+-800g butternut, chopped
1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
1 tsp thyme
1 round feta
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
3 slices lean bacon
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
- Place the butternut on a baking tray and sprinkle olive oil, mint and thyme all over. Grind salt and pepper over the butternut.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 180ºC then add the feta and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Fry the bacon and chop into small pieces.
- Take the butternut out of the oven, add the bacon and cheddar cheese and gently combine.
- Place in serving dish and keep warm until needed.