The secret to a good lamington is the chocolate coating. You want the icing to soak into the sponge, so be generous when rolling / pouring the coating over the sponge. This lamington recipe is easy and tasty and is perfect for afternoon tea – Please leave feedback in the comments section below, I’d love to know how your lamingtons come out!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 16-18 Lamingtons 1x
Lamingtons will make your heart happy! Try this super easy recipe and enjoy.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups Castor sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups dessicated coconut (for the coating)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (good quality)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- Preheat the oven to 180Â°C
- Whisk the sugar and eggs in a mixer until light and fluffy (I used my KitchenAid on level 5 for 3-4 minutes)
- Add the oil and vanilla essence and mix again.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the mixture alternatively with the milk.
- Pour the mixture into a rectangular, greased baking tin for 25-30 minutes at 180Â°
- Allow to cool and then cut off any crusts. Now, cut the sponge into small squares, about 4cm x 4cm (the traditional size for a lamington).
- Make the icing/coating and roll each square in the chocolate coating until all sides are covered. Be generous here and coat the sponges well!
- Now roll each lamington in coconut. Enjoy!
is this from http://www.calorababy.co.za/recipes/lamingtons.html?
Hi Bill, thanks for pointing this out – their recipe is from my website! This is my writing, word for word…
Hi there are you sure 4cm x 4 cm is correct, that is an incredibly small lamington
I have never made lamingtons before and I decided to try this recipe out. It was so so so good! Everyone enjoyed it n i didnt believe them until i tasted it myself 😀 THANK U
only my coating ran short and i left abt ten squares plain.
Made this for diwali, was really a hit, everybody kept asking about the sauce 🙂
Receipe for the coating please.
Whats the method for the coating for the lamingtons?
Please advise how to make the sauce
Thanks Charliesmith for the share