My mom gave me this recipe the other day and for some silly reason (I have no idea why) I didn’t follow the recipe exactly – I used 7 eggs instead of 8, I used milk instead of boiling water and I rounded up the flour to 4 cups. The result was still yummy but it was a very dense cake, not light and spongy at all and I had to cook it for close to an hour. My lesson, follow the recipe!!! So here it is the recipe that you should follow, don’t deviate from it guys – I’ve written the quantities in the easiest way to measure. The cake serves 25-30 people easily and probably even more if you cut smaller squares. Perfect for kids school birthday rings or large functions or celebrations. Enjoy 🙂
A fabulous recipe for a cake to feed many! Perfect for birthdays or celebrations.
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups castor sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 Â½ cups cake flour, sifted
- 3 TBS baking powder
- Â¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180Â°C.
- Staple the corners of the beer box and line with tinfoil (shiny side so that you can see it) and spray with Spray & Cook (or just grease with some butter)
- Beat the eggs and sugar until light, fluffy and white in colour.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared box and bake for 35 minutes or until inserting a toothpick/skewer into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cook for another 10 minutes if it is not done.
- Cool completely and ice however your heart desires! I used some vanilla icing and jelly tots! Nommy!!!
Optional: if you are making a chocolate cake add 4 heaped tablespoons of cocoa