What in the world is a “S’more” you ask? Well, since you asked, it is an extremely popular campfire treat in the United States, which seems to have gained popularity throughout the world, thanks to Pinterest! It usually consists of roasted marshmallows and chocolate sandwiched between a sweet biscuit called a graham cracker (kinda like a digestive biscuit). So this recipe is a bit of a spin on the traditional campfire s’mores, because instead of a thin layer of chocolate, we’re making a thick layer of rich chocolate cake. Then we’re loading the top of the jar with lots and lots of marshmallows and grilling em! Ooooh eh eh baby!
This recipe was originally made in mason jars (made in America) – sort of the same as our Consol jars. The thing is – it looks real pretty but it’s a lot for just one person to eat. So even though I made mine in Consol Jars, my recommendation would be to try using smaller glass jars or even ramekin dishes and layer those with the biscuit, cake mixture and marshmallows instead. I would imagine that would be the perfect portion size for such a rich dessert, plus you’ll get more portions out of the recipe too!! 🙂
Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is
S’mores Cake in a Jar
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 Jars 1x
A traditional US treat, s’mores are a combination of biscuit, chocolate and marshmallow – let’s make some!
- You will need 4 consol jars or large jam jars for this recipe.
- 1 packet digestive biscuits
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/8 cups cake flour
- Â¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- Â¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence
- Â½ cup milk
- Â½ heaped cup of full cream plain yoghurt
- Â½ cup sunflower oil (or you can use melted butter)
- 2 bags marshmallows
- Crush the biscuits in a Ziploc bag with a rolling pin or your fingers
- Mix the biscuit crumbs with the melted butter and once well mixed through, divide the mixture into 4 parts and press into the base of each jar.
- Now add all the cake ingredients together in one bowl and mix for 1-2 minutes until everything is well blended.
- Using a Â¼ cup measure, scoop the batter into the jars until about Â½ way up the jar. (you can eat any leftover mixture yummy!!)
- Now listen up â€“ put the jars into a square baking dish / tin and put 2 cups of warm water into the tin (not each jar!) â€“ this will help to cook the cake. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Take the jars out the oven, and put as many marshmallows you can possibly put into the top of each jar.
- Put the jars back into the oven and grill the marshmallows until they are nicely browned. Serve and enjoy!!