Have you missed me? I MISSED you guys! I thought I would never see the day of actually sitting down and writing out another recipe. #life yoh!! 3 kids, yoh!! Running a business, yoh!!
In celebration of actually finding a moment and posting this recipe which I made and photographed, I am not lying, over 2 months ago. I have been wanting to share it with you for that long. And it is a “beauty” as my boys would say!
I’ve just finished a week-long, vegan, gluten-free cleanse full of smoothies and really healthy food, so this recipe is a complete treat!!! Although not vegan-friendly, it is gluten-free – I know so many people battle with gluten intolerance so this is for you guys! You will LOVE it.
Now, about this cake….If ever there was a sexy cake. This is it. Just look at her…
Simple yet sophisticated and naturally striking with her flash of redness and semi-naked layers. This sublime 7-ingredient cake is quick to prepare but does take a long time to bake – all the more time to salivate. You’ll notice that baking powder and baking soda are not part of the ingredients. The little rising the cake does display, is attributed to air whisked into the mixture. If that makes you feel a little nervy, go ahead and add a teaspoon or two, it most definitely won’t make it any less tasty.
My sister first introduced me to this recipe. We made it on a whim, using the ingredients we had in the house and landed up using fresh grated coconut instead of the desiccated version, as well as brown sugar instead of caster, and it was still delicious.
I used mini cake pans (8cm Cake Boss ones) and layered 3 of them to create this sexy mama. The batter did fill another 8cm pan but that was for quality control, a very important part of my job. The icing – I just used whipped cream with a teensy tiny little icing sugar thrown in.
The cake is solid – definitely not light and airy but somehow a berry cake suits a dense, moist (sorry for use of this word) cake.
If you make it, please let me know with a comment below – I would love to know what you thought?!Print
Make this gorgeously sexy cake – it’s absolutely delicious AND gluten-free!
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 3/4 cups dessicated coconut
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 175g butter
- 1/2 cup fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 180C, grease pans
- Whisk eggs and vanilla essence together
- Slowly add melted butter to the mixture
- Add the mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined
- Pour into a cake pan/ pans and sprinkle with the berries
- *Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Decorate with icing or whipped cream and berries.
- *Cooking time may take longer than 1 hour – if the tops of the cake/cakes are brown, simply put a piece of tinfoil over the top of the cake so that it does not burn but still continues to bake.