A delightfully easy Macaroni Cheese recipe that you can whip up with basic pantry and fridge staples, with the option of adding extra tasty ingredients to maximise on flavour. The cheese sauce is the heart of this Macaroni Cheese recipe and if you have never made a cheese sauce before, never fear because I have written detailed instructions to ensure you make a creamy cheese sauce, first time!
We love Macaroni Cheese because:
- It’s easy to make and relatively quick to
- It’s a traditional dish that everyone loves to eat – even the kids!
- Perfect for freezing if you have leftovers or wish to make a double dish
- It pairs perfectly with a side salad
- It can be prepared ahead of time and re-heated just before eating
Ooh yummy – so creamy!Print
A traditional macaroni cheese recipe that is quick and easy to prepare with the option of adding extra ingredients.
- Cook the macaroni according to packet instructions and set aside
- While the macaroni is cooking, grate the cheese*
- Now, prepare the cheese sauce by heating the butter (medium heat) in a large pot. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Keep whisking to make a smooth mixture (this is called a roux).
- Add the milk, little by little, and keep whisking to ensure the sauce is smooth – I usually have the whisk in my right hand and the jug of measured milk in my left and I just keep whisking the whole time in a figure of 8 shape*
- Once all the milk has been incorporated, allow the sauce to thicken a little more – you don’t want it to be too runny and you don’t want it too thick either! You need to be the judge here!
- Add the 2 cups of cheddar cheese as well as the salt and a little freshly cracked black pepper and stir to combine.
- Add any optional extras that you cooked in a separate pan (see instructions under “optional extras”) and add to the cheese sauce and stir through.
- Now add the Macaroni to the sauce and stir through to coat all the pasta.
- Transfer to an ovenproof pot or dish and top with the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Grill for 10-15 minutes until the cheese has turned brown and crispy. Garnish with freshly chopped Parsley (optional)*. Enjoy!