A dinner with basic pantry ingredients, this cream of chicken soup recipe really is soup for the soul! My kids love the simplicity of it and I love the fact that it comes together in 20 minutes. And I generally just love soup and the reason I have a whole section dedicated to it.
The real secret of this recipe though, is to use a homemade chicken stock or a high quality chicken stock. That really takes the soup to taste level 100. You will see the ingredient list is basic but you can always add extra seasoning or even parmesan cheese if you like. Be sure to dunk in some of your favourite sourdough bread or ciabatta loaf. Enjoy!
If you loved this chicken soup, you might like to try one of my favourite chicken soup recipes on this website called, wait for it, Chicken and Corn Soup!Print
A deliciously simple meal made with chicken stock, flour, butter, milk and spices. Use a high quality or homemade chicken stock for this cream of chicken soup.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion or garlic powder (optional)
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large pot, on medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk to combine.
- Add the stock and milk slowly, a little bit by little bit and continue to stir in a figure of 8 shape while the soup starts to thicken
- Once the soup has thickened nicely, add the salt and then the onion /garlic powder if you wish – this is optional.
- Add a little freshly cracked black pepper and more salt if necessary.
- Serve with warm bread or toast.
The secret to a soup made with chicken stock, is a good stock! I usually make this soup with homemade chicken stock and it is delicious!