Well hello 5-Star Vegetarian Stroganoff. Helloooo.
Uhm does this look yummy or what? Do you see this pan of pasta and sauce right here. Got a visual?
Well, it is roll-your-eyes-back-in-your-head tasty.
It is also my new FAVOURITE sauce and soon to be your new FAVOURITE sauce too. My husband and I devoured this entire pan of pasta last night, but not before a bit of foodie-torture though ~ let me explain. Foodie-torture is basically the result of preparing a YUMMY dish and not being able to eat it straight away. Food Bloggers experience this a lot because in between the food being ready and the food being eaten, is the food being photographed. Its just one of the #perilsofrunningafoodblog #foodietorture
I’ve made the stroganoff many times and each time, I think of other ways it could be used; base for a vegetarian cottage pie, then maybe a soup, a risotto sauce (OMG YES!!!!), a pizza topping or sauce for dunking toast into, a beef stroganoff (duh!). Can you tell that I am hungry as I write this?
This recipe will feed 2 hungry adults (or 2 not so hungry adults and 2 kids but ironically the recipe will make you hungry so ignore this side note) and I recommend that when you make it for the first time, make it according to the quantities in the recipe. Thereafter, once you’re familiar with the recipe and taste profiles, you can change it up, thin it down or double up the quantities. 😃
Now – what to serve this Stroganoff sensation with. If you are going with pasta – choose the shell pasta. This is so you get to scoop sauce into your mouth with eat bite. Always #essential to make the right pasta choice.
If you serve it with a baked potato, I HIGHLY recommend cooking the potato first and then slicing the top a little, sticking a dollop of butter on top with salt and pepper and then placing it under the grill for 20 minutes until beautifully crispy at which point you can add more butter and then ladle the sauce over and perhaps add a little side salad too. Meatless Mondays never sounded so good, right?!!
Now, time to get stroganoffing! Enjoy. Tell me how it goes. I would love to see your pics please!! Tag @justeasyrecipes on Instagram.
5-Star Vegetarian Stroganoff
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2-4
Tasty Vegetarian Stroganoff Sauce that you can make with common ingredients in under 30 minutes.
- Place the butter and onion in a medium-sized pan and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, a little salt and cracked black pepper and cook until beautifully browned (8-10 minutes)
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic)
- Add in the tomato paste, soy sauce, mustard and herbs and cook for a minute
- Now mix in the flour and cook for another minute or so (the pan will get dry but don’t worry, we’re adding the wine next yeehaa!!)
- Pour the wine in and cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, bring the sauce to a simmer, stir occasionally and allow it to reduce by half the volume or until you have a thickened sauce**
- Take the pan off the heat, stir in the creme fraiche, add more salt/pepper to your liking and and garnish with microgreens, rocket or sprinklings of fresh Thyme.
- Serve with shell pasta or over a crispy baked potato
** the sauce is not overly thick, just right. If you prefer a thinner sauce then reduce the flour to 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoons.
[…] 5-Star Vegetarian Stroganoff […]