If ever there ever was a reason to buy a slow cooker – this is it. Slow Cooker Beef Ragu.
A friend of mine just bought a slow cooker second hand on Gumtree. Clearly the seller ain’t heard of Slow Cooker Beef Ragu. *Shakes head*
There really should be a car sticker that says “Don’t sell your Slow Cooker!! Make Beef Ragu instead.”
But there’s not, so just tell your friends please.
If you are going to buy a slow cooker (which you really should) and you are a family of 4 or less – buy the small one (usually 3.5L) unless you are planning on making big batches and freezing. I have a family of 5 and I have the bigger 6.5L size which sometimes I think is a little too big but I still love it.
The great thing about a slow cooker is that you could invite guests around on the weekend but have the dish prepared a day before – stress saver alert!!! If I am really organised and have ingredients all ready I’ll make the dish on Saturday and then have a perfectly lazy or perfectly busy Sunday and get frantically excited at the thought of a wholesome meal all ready to eat in the evening!
The only cooking you need to do for this recipe beforehand – and this is a major flavour factor – is to brown the meat. Fry it in the butter to brown each side. It should literally be 2 minutes or so a side. Then you pop the meat and juices from the pan into the cooker, along with all the other ingredients and there you have it. Dinner in 16 hours. Just EASY dinners, not Just QUICK dinners. #justsaying.
Is it Kid-Friendly?
My kids loved dunking bread into the sauce of this dish but weren’t too keen on so much meat! SO, I took about 2 cups of the cooked Ragu, processed it with a stick blender, added Vegetable stock from Woolies (the premade one) until it was a soup-like consistency but still maintained the amazing flavour and served that to them with bread for dunking. IT WAS A COMPLETE HIT!!!! If you ever wanted to make a meaty soup – honestly, just follow this recipe and then blend and add stock. AMAZING!!
What if I have a pressure cooker?
The time will be less but not sure exactly how long I would cook it for to get the amazing tenderness you get with the slow cooker. Worth playing around with it though if that is the only option.Print
Easy Slow Cooker Beef Ragu recipe with meat that literally melts apart.
- 550–600g Rump Steak, (no need to cut)
- 3 tablespoons butter (or oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- OPTIONAL: Sour Cream or Creme Fraiche for garnishing
- In a medium frying pan, melt the butter and then brown the meat on all sides – roughly 2 minutes a side.
- Transfer the meat and juices from the pan into the slow cooker.
- Add all the other ingredients
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 15-16 hours
- Now, remove/discard any large pieces of fat and shred the meat using 2 forks – it should almost melt apart. Mix the meat into the sauce to get an even consistency.
- Serve with mash potato, pappardelle pasta or shell pasta. Add a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche on top of the ragu as an optional but tasty extra.