What on earth to make for dinner? There is nothing in the fridge or freezer and dinner is looking like spaghetti on toast. Or Bovril. Or maybe just butter. Until you read this easy egg-fried rice recipe and you start doing a little shimmy shake with your shoulders. And the reason you’re shimmy shaking is because you don’t need very much at all to shimmy shake this all together.
You will need some rice, you must have some rice in the pantry right? You’ll need an egg or two, an onion and some frozen veg (or tinned if you prefer). And it all starts shaking along in harmony with a dash of salt and sprinkling of soy sauce.
It’s a delightfully tasty and nutritious dinner. I throw in a heap of garden herbs for that extra splash of colour and I also just feel very “Martha Stewart” when I walk into my own garden to pick fresh herbs.
If you like this recipe then you will also love this Spicy Rice and Chicken Strips recipe too.Print
Easy Egg-Fried Rice
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: Serves 4
A quick and easy nutritious meal made with basic pantry, fridge and freezer staples such as eggs, frozen veg and rice.
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (or 2 cups cooked rice)
- 3 tablespoons butter (or oil)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup frozen veg
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions and set aside.
- In a medium sized pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat and fry the onion until soft and translucent. Add the frozen veg and mix in with the onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are warm and colourful. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetable mix to the rice mixture – we want to re-use the pan for the eggs in the next step.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs to combine them and then melt the last tablespoon butter in the pan before adding the egg mixture to it. Allow the egg mixture to cook on one side, say 90 seconds and then flip it over to cook the other side for 90 seconds.
- Now add the rice and vegetables to the cooked egg in the pan and mix it all up together. You will need to break up the egg with a spatula or spoon.
- Pour over the soy sauce and add a little more salt and pepper if necessary. Garnish with garden herbs. (optional)
- Optional extras: Add 2 garlic cloves, chopped and 2cm grated ginger to the pan when cooking the onions.