If you wish to enter culinary arts schools or culinary arts colleges, you should know the basic and common French words that are used in these schools and colleges for teaching culinary arts. Let’s take a look at the most important French cooking words that will help you when you enter a culinary arts school.
- Cereals are an important part of any cuisine. Cereal is termed as La céréale in French. Wheat is known as Le blé. Corn and cornflakes are called Le maïs and Les flacons de maïs. Barley, oat, rice, and rye are coined as L’orge, L’avoine, Le riz and Le sieigle, respectively.
- Coffee and its variants have similar French terms that are equivalent to English terms. Black coffee is Le café noir, while instant coffee is known as Le café instantané. Coffee ice-cream with fresh cream and coffee with milk should be addressed as Le café liégeois and Le café au lait. Coffee beans and ground coffee are Le café en grains and Le café moulu in the French language. An electric coffee maker is known as La cafetiére electrique in France.
- If you wish to enter French culinary arts schools or culinary arts colleges, you should also know the French terms for utensils that are used for cooking. Pots, kitchen utensils, and pans are La batterie de cuisine in French. A saucepan is known as La casserole, while a stewpot is Le fait-tout. A spatula is La spatula and a cutting board is La planche à découper.
- Household appliances are termed as L’appareil électroménager. An oven is Le four and a microwave oven is Le four à micro ondes. A fridge is Le réfrigérateur and a freezer is Le congélateur. A food processor is Le robot ménager and a dishwasher is Le lave vaisselle.
- Other important French words that you should know before entering culinary arts schools are La boulangerie and Le boulanger for bakery and baker, La boucherie and Le boucher for butcher’s shop and butcher, L’épicerie and L’épicier for grocery and grocer, and La poissonnerie and Le poissonnier for fish shop and fish merchant.
- A few more commonly used cooking terminologies in French language include: la caisson for ‘cooking’, cuire means ‘to cook’, dorer is ‘to brown’, en friture is for fried, griller is ‘to grill’, mijoter is ‘to simmer’, rotir is ‘to roast’, a la vapeur is for ‘steamed’ and a la poêle is ‘pan-sautéed’. Couper is to cut, emietter is to crumble, eminer is to slice thinly, eplucher is to peal, hacher is to mince, mixer is to blend, trancher is to slice and raper is to grate.
- As a chef, you could ask the customer ‘la caisson?’ which would mean ‘how would you prefer it to be cooked?’ Rare, medium rare, and well done are termed as saignant, à point, and bien cuit. If you wish to ask the customer, ‘Have you made your choice?‘ you should ask ‘vous avez choisi?’
It is not possible to list all the words related to culinary arts or those used in culinary arts schools and culinary arts colleges in one article. However, it is not a very difficult task to learn the appropriate French culinary arts words in a short time once you join a culinary arts college.
It’s easy to lose your way while you’re out exploring, and a good way to ensure you’ll be
able to find your way back to your base is to make it as visible as possible from as far away as possible.
However, it is important to understand the rules of the foreign locale as
the new setup has to be formed on an international destination outside the country of’ more.
Exhaust Accessories and Parts – HKS also offers other exhaust accessories and parts, such as the
removable inner muffler silencer which offers
an average of 7 d – B in exhaust noise reduction.
dental assistant schools in mn
Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve have in mind your stuff previous
to and you are just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you have bought right here, really like what you’re stating and the best way in which you are saying it.
You are making it enjoyable and you continue to take care
of to keep it wise. I cant wait to learn much more from you.
That is actually a tremendous website.
magento 2 one step checkout extension
Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as
though you relied on the video to make your point. You definitely know what youre talking about,
why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your
blog when you could be giving us something enlightening
Exactly. Nice Information