There are so many things to love about this Turmeric Rice and Beans dish. Firstly, it’s a one pan meal which makes me just as happy as when someone says “sheet cake” – it’s in the same league, they are one pan, one mess wonders. Music to my kitchen sink.
Then, after that excitement, there is the riot of colour which had me staring in awe, admiring the array and contrast of colours – yellow, red/purple and green. A good colour palette always has a way of inviting you to eat. Then, there is the simplicity of the dish, the high nutritional value of the ingredients and the scrumptious of them all together.
So is this a main meal or a side dish? Well, it is both. I’ve eaten it alongside bolognaise and it was a wonderful addition but if I wanted a completely vegan option, you could eat it as is, although I would most likely dress it up a little with one or more of the “optional extras” suggested in the ingredient list, or even just a green salad would be a lovely companion. It’s like a pair of jeans, you can go casual or dress it up a little, depending on the occasion, but either way, it will still look good. In this case, taste good!
I almost forgot (how could I?) to mention that this dish is also quick to make, you’re done in under 30 minutes, hallelujah! It’s low on dishes, quick to make, tastes good and full of nutrition, a definite crowd pleaser! Amen!
And if you’re looking for other vegan dishes, that are also one-pan-wonder-crowd-pleasers, check out my favourite, Fiesta Quinoa recipe.
I must mention too that this Turmeric Rice recipe would serve 4 people as a side dish and 2 people as a main dish. Adjust quantities as needed.
A delicious vegan dish that could be used as a main meal or as a side dish to to a meaty meal. Either way, it tastes delicious and cooks in under 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower/olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, diced
- 3/4 cup rice (I used Basmati Rice)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups water (for the rice) and 1/2 cup water (for the spinach – added later)
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or lime juice
- freshly ground black pepper
Add sliced spring onions
Add Diced tomato
- In a medium sized pan, heat the oil and cook the onions until beautifully caramelised.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- Add the rice, turmeric, cumin, ground coriander, salt, bay leaves and 2 1/2 cups water. Allow to simmer until most of the water has reduced and the rice is soft.
- Add the spinach and the remaining 1/2 cup water, cover the pan with a lid or plate and simmer ever so gently for 2-3 minutes to allow the spinach to wilt.
- Now mix the spinach through the rice to combine well.
- Stir in the red kidney beans and the lime/lemon juice. Add some freshly cracked black pepper as well as salt if needed. Throw on any or all of the optional extras and enjoy!