I’m not getting out of bed today. It’s cold and misty and raining in Durban and I have absolutely nothing else to do today besides drink tea, page through magazines whilst toasting my toes next to the fire and writing a blog post and then possibly going for a little nap.
Hah hah. I WISH. Don’t hate me people. Really, it’s nothing like that. Kids are back at school, I’ve been up since 4am, my hair is still wet, I really really really need to go and make some tea, and fire….what bloody fire?!!!
I’m actually over-the-moon-happy it is raining today because all I can think about is that tonight we are going to have Leek and Potato soup for supper with homemade croutons and crispy bacon on top, served with warm Ciabatta and a thick layer of butter. OH YES!!! And we might just get that fire going and toast those little toes after all. Okay so now you can be jealous. Unless of course you are going to do the exact same thing, in which case, we can just all be really happy and thankful that soup exists. Especially this Leek and Potato Soup recipe, cos it only takes 20 minutes to make! Let’s clink our tea cups to that.
And if you are not a fan of too much cream, I do also have an easy Leek & Potato soup that is delicious but without the cream (yet the option to add a little) – so you can try that if you would like.
If you are a soup lover like me, you might like to try these other soup recipes too.
Chicken and Corn Soup – this one is good for the soul. Its nourishing and healthy and light and so damn delicious. It’s a regular feature on our weekly Sanders menu.
Lentil, Feta, and Red Pepper Soup – Made with roasted truss tomatoes. HELLO, yes, have you tasted vine-ripened tomatoes?? And then roasted them? And then made soup with them?? I say, put it on the list to make this week friendies.
Creamy Broccoli Soup – One of my favourite all-time soups. You never knew that broccoli could taste this goooooooood! It involves cream and lemon juice and feta. Oh, and Broccoli. Hee Hee.
But, let us not forget the main attraction here today, it’s easy-easy and tasty-tasty 20-minute Leek and Potato Soup. Tadaaaa…
P.S I HIGHLY recommend the crispy bacon and croutons and chopped spring onions or leeks on top. Mmmmmm.Print
Delicious, warming and oh-so-tasty, oh-so-easy leek and potato soup recipe, with creamy and not so creamy options. TOOOO good!
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled
- 4 cups water
- 30ml Butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups leeks, chopped
- Â½ vegetable stock cube (you can use Chicken stock as an alternative)
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes in 4 cups of water until soft, then turn heat down to medium. Keep the water â€“ do not discard as this will form the base of the soup.
- Fry the onion in the butter for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until soft, then add the leeks and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked onions and leeks to the potatoes (in the water)
- Add half a stock cube and mix through.
- Add the cream and mix through.
- Using a stick blender, blend for 30 seconds just to create a smoother consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Garnish with crispy bacon, croutons, spring onions and a dash of olive oil. Serve with warm Ciabatta bread.